Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Sometimes you just need to be ready


I loved The Joy Luck Club--years ago, when it was first released I bought it, and hated it. I didn’t understand the complications of mother daughter relationships at that point in my life, and I just hadn’t lived long enough, and had enough life experiences to relate to Amy Tan’s characters. But I was ready now, and it was a fabulous read. I saw myself in each of the mother’s as well as in each of their daughters. I understood the family dynamics and the friendship dynamics. I learned so much about myself while reading. I am so glad I was ready!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I agree. You have to be at the right time in your life for some books. I totally missed the boat on Catcher in the Rye. By the time I read it I was a cranky adult who just thought Holden was pretentious, insufferable and lazy. I just kept thinking he needed to get some therapy and grow up! Just as well I guess - since Catcher seems to be the kind of book that makes people mental if they identify too much with it!

4/04/2007 3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home