Monday, December 18, 2006

Christmas MEME-ories

I have suffered from a few computer glitches, but hopefully, I am back on track! There hasn't ben much to blog about considering I feel frantic about the holidays, wish I had more time to knit, and generally can't wait to relax. I don't have two clues as to where I picked up this meme (since it was BEFORE the computer issues!) but take a read, and I think this counts as number 2 for my G.I.F.T challenge. Six more days until Christmas and 2 more challenges, AND 2 more socks to go (plus all the wrapping and some more shopping!).

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Definitely hot chocolate. I am an “I want to love Egg Nog” person, but sadly, I just don’t. This isn’t a Christmas tradition, but every Monday when my kids come home from school we go for hot chocolate, or steamers at the local coffee bar: it gets us all through a Monday! [when it is hot, it is a fruit smoothy at the coffee bar!]

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?
Santa does it all, including the wrapping!

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
White, little fairy lights and I like LOTS of them.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Mistletoe is part of the Christmas festivities. I love the thought of getting a big smoooooch when you stand under it!

5. When do you put your decorations up?
Usually, the weekend after Thanksgiving is when the process starts, but it takes the entire week (this year it was the weekend after that!). Sadly, all the decorations vanish very quickly after we celebrate New Year's.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
I love ham, but I don’t eat it often. And I think ham tastes even more delicious on Christmas.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:
I am the oldest of 6, so I loved when we all went to church on Christmas Eve together. It was process, to all get ready and be on time, sharing one bathroom, but we did it.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I can’t remember, since all of my brothers and sister were younger, it seemed like I was obligated to perpetuate this for a very long time!

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
My husband and I exchange gifts Christmas Eve, so on Christmas day, it is all about the kids!

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
Like a crazy person! First we get it up, and after that, the lights, and then the kids help put everything on it--EVERYTHING! We have a variety of different ornaments, but I want to do a tree in mittens and snowflakes next year!

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
Love it, as long as I am not traveling in it!

12. Can you ice skate?
No. And I long to ice skate in Rockafeller Center.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
A dancing ballerina doll with a pink crown which you pushed and then she spinned.

14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Keeping balance for myself, and my family. I try really hard to keep it all in perspective and help them understand what is important during the holidays.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
COOKIES--and I have a huge thing for gingerbread men! I like when they are all soft and warm, not the crunchy hard ones!

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
I love to fill the stockings. There could be tons of wonderful presents under the tree, but I will run around to find all kinds of fun things for the stockings. And the rule is the stockings are the last thing--you open all the gifts under the tree and then you go check out your stocking!

17. What tops your tree? A star.

18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving?
I prefer to give, give, give!

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
Oh Holy Night.

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? One for me and one for you!

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I'm hoping I don't offend anyone else, but your's is the best Holiday Meme I have read. :) I love all of your traditions and your whole attitude about the whole holiday. As for the gingerbread men, you eat all the soft ones, I'll take all the crunchy ones. :)

12/18/2006 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great answers, I did this meme awhile back and really enjoyed it. It is definitely G.I.F.T. worthy. That is a nice idea that you and your hubby open your gifts the night before. Since I only have one child it we all do it together but I usually save a gift for my wife to open by herself. We too get the decorations down quickly after New Years. It is a bit melancholy but also feels wrong somehow to leave them up. It feels like you're not ready to get on with a new year if you don't get them down and get the house back into order. At least that is the way that I feel.

12/19/2006 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home